May 18, 2014

Tactile.

Early on as children we're taught the concept of keeping our hands to ourselves. I learnt it. I understood the idea of personal space. However, I developed a habit that, if it did not come at anyone's expense, I expand my own bubble. During summer drives, my hand finds its way outside to ride on the wind. When I walk, I walk with my hands outstretched. My fingertips linger on the fences, bushes and trees it finds. Not always, of course. Sometimes they're burdened with loads and cannot explore their surroundings. 


Many times these escapades result in the unconscious gathering of treasures. Other times the results are only bruises, cuts or scrapes. The treasures often come in the form of flowers, leaves or the sound of my fingers making music as they scrape along aluminum railings. These I smell, press and memorize. 

The hurt is sometimes a treasure in subtle form as well. From these I learn. Other times there is no redemption in the hurt. Of these I let go.

Of course, this all goes beyond the physical state of things. What I want to learn is to be just as open in mind and character. Too often I feel closed up and defensive, too burdened with my own loads to accept the treasures I could be gleaning. There is so much to be gained from living, and so little to store up in hoarding. So I've been coming out from my shell a little bit just to see what others are saying, doing thinking. I have been observing, and soaking up and allowing my mind to stretch its fingertips and explore its surroundings.


So far I've gotten criticism, negativity and hurt. These I learn form and let go. 
But so far I have collected many many treasures. These I savor, memorize and share. 

8 Wonderful people made my day!:

  1. Your post is so lovely ant thoughtful. I love textures and find it hard to resist touching things, but always respect what is meant to be handled. I think people who love art have that as a second nature as I find that if I love the touch of a fabric, or paper or object, well it is coming home with me. Pinecones, leaves etc, all make an appearance in my home in the fall. I love your positive outlook in your post and hope you keep savoring your treasures, and don't let negativity weigh you down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Winnie! I believe the second nature idea as it's something I do unconsciously most of the time. I guess there's just a side to things we miss if we don't reach out to them. As you can imagine, museums and glass sections in stores are a nightmare, haha. Thank you for commenting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It not what we touch but it how we touch.

    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True that, thanks for stopping by Dora!

      Delete
  4. Larissa, what a joy to see you back on BlogHer's NaBloPoMo. :) This post was short but so direct, nothing missing. You always hit the nail on the head with what you have to say, and you always say it well. I too am a tactile person and understand the need to live through touching and discovering. As Winnie said, love your positive outlook!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Molly Jo! It's nice (although a bit awkward) to be back! I haven't been here in so long! Thank you for your kind words. :)

      Delete
  5. Such a good read! Thanks for sharing and stopping by. It's been a little while since I've seen you. I hope you're doing well. I really like the new blog design.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ashleigh! I'm back I don't know for how long or how often, but back for now. :)

      Thank you for stopping by and noticing the makeover! :D

      Delete

Want to make my day? Leave a Comment!

Web Analytics