October 11, 2012

Canadian Thanksgiving.

Being Brazilian, growing up in America + having an America born brother, and living in Canada, is quite an interesting thing, especially when the holidays come around. For example, for us there are two Independence Days, 4th of July and 7th of September, plus Canada Day on the 1st of July. 

Thanksgiving is a funny one because in October Brazil's already standing on its tiptoes looking straight ahead for Christmas, in the US the days 'til Thanksgiving start being counted right after Columbus Day and while you're busy with Columbus Day, here in Canada we're celebrating Thanksgiving. Quite a funny mess, huh? 

We make the best of it, especially Thanksgiving which we do something special for. So this past weekend after arriving home from Virginia on Thursday, we picked Daddy up form Seattle on Sunday and came home to .. well sleep. On Monday, however, Thanksgiving preparations began and soon supper was ready. 

Did I mention we're vegetarians? We are. :) So our menu will have no Turkey, but I can guarantee you nobody missed it.

This was our very simple menu that took no longer than a morning to prepare and filled us quite nicely as well as provided plenty of leftovers for the week.

Vegetarian - Canadian Thanksgiving Menu

Beet Salad
Shepherd's Pie
Zucchini/ Tomato Bruschetta 
Meatballs
Heart of Palm "Pastelzinhos" 
(I'm sorry there's just no other name for them. There's a picture 
below so you know what they look like. Yes, they're Brazilian.)

Dessert

"Little Pumpkins" Pumpkin/Cinnamon Pull Apart Bread
All Natural Ice Cream

Heart of palm filling for the pastelzinhos.
Dough for the pull apart bread.
Beets for the beet salad.
Rising doughs.
Measuring out homemade breadcrumbs.
Vegetarian Meatballs, with a creamy surprise in the middle, made with dehydrated PVP, ready to go into the oven.

Pastelzinhos. Aren't they adorable? Bite sized and filled with heart of palm goodness.
Tomato and marinated tofu bruschetta.

Vegetarian Shepherd's Pie. PVP for the beef and frozen veggies, well-seasoned and then...
Covered with creamy mashed potatoes and sprinkled with sesame seeds.
Getting the zucchini bruschetta ready.
Ready for the oven minutes before supper is served.
Table is set and supper is served.
(We're also a non-alcoholic household, so sparkling water was served instead.)



Victor's favorite thing I've cooked so far. Pumpkin pull-apart bread baked in a cupcake pan to form individual breads. Just don't tell him they have pumpkin in them. He thinks we call the "Little Pumpkins" because they "look like pumpkins." Shh! I'm trusting you not to tell!

We've got so many things to be grateful for it'd be so hard to list them all. But here's a summarized version of my list, I'd like to share with you. 

God. Salvation. Hope He Gives.
Family.
Friends.
Health.  
Freedom.
Opportunities. 
Plans.
Books.
Our blogging community, 
(This means you.)

33 Wonderful people made my day!:

  1. Wow, what an amazing meal you had!! Thanksgiving is always such a special holiday filled with good food and family.

    Kathy
    http://gigglingtruckerswife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure is, Kathy. It sure is.

      Delete
  2. Larissa, who needs turkey?! Your Thanksgiving meal looks delicious AND beautiful!!! We are all grateful for you too!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH My Yummy Goodness!!! My three year old is over my shoulder saying "mmm, what is that?" I think he would prefer some of that to his cheese stick right about now. Thanks for the link up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I admit, it was pure yumminess. :)

      Delete
  4. Amazing!

    All looks good, but that bread looks even more incredible!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmmm now I am really hungry! Happy Thanksgiving and Happy Linky Party ;-)

    http://sleepyjoes.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/mojo-and-victory-dances.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your Thanksgiving dinner looks scrumptious!!! We don't do Turkey for Thanksgiving either, not because we are vegetarians, just because we don't enjoy turkey so much. So we have an nontraditional Thanksgiving: lamb, roasted potatoes, grilled asparagus and pumpkin cheesecake...yumm!
    Carolina
    sewcarolinaknits

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'd eat it all up... except for the lamb.

      Delete
  7. Thank you so much for sharing a special family meal with us. Just wondering.....

    My husband and I love fresh beets, and we grow lots of them. Think you'd be willing to share your beet salad recipe?

    Happy (late) Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh for sure! It's really really simple.

      Boil the beets for about 30 minutes (If they're new and fresh. Might take longer depending on how old they are.) until you poke them with a fork and they're soft.
      Let them cool then peel the skin off.
      Cut them into long strips (Like French fries).
      Drizzle with oil (mommy uses corn instead of olive but it's ok to use olive too.)
      Add lemon juice to taste (we like lots of lemon juice).
      Salt to taste.
      If you like onions, slice some up and add it there too. :)
      Ta-da! Bonne Apetite!

      Delete
  8. Everything looks so good. I want to eat 'Tomato and marinated tofu bruschetta.'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! :) I'll mail you some!

      Delete
  9. The table is beautiful and I think I would agree with Victor, those pull apart pumpkin breads look so yummy! Thanks for sharing and there was surely a thankful turkey out there somewhere!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like you had a great Thanksgiving! That was some spread. You enlightened me on meatless meatballs! I have had a meatless shepherd's pie at one of my favorite teashops. They make a mushroom one in place of the meat. I get that when mom comes down as she is a vegetrian. It sounds like a lot of fun for you to be able to celebrate lots of holidays. I am thankful for you too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really yummy, Winnie. And that pie sounds great! :)

      Delete
  11. Oh gosh....my tummy is grumbling something rotten over that delicious looking food!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The more holidays, the better! This all looks positively delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  13. How do you photograph food so well? It's gorgeous! I feel like a guest at your table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I have still so much to learn! But thanks, Tara! :)

      Delete
  14. What a delicious looking menu! Annnnd.... now I'm hungry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! Come on over and have some, Molly!

      Delete
  15. Yummy! Yummy! Happy Thanksgiving. I can't imagine how confusing all those holidays are. :-) But more the merrier, right?

    I have no idea what my next blog will be, or when, but hopefully I will remember to link up. Woo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely the more the merrier. :)

      We'll be here! :)

      Delete
  16. Holy moly, LT!!!!

    I am going to Google some of those things you made to see if I can find recipes (I love heart of palm so much and have never had it in a warm preparation, just in my vegetarian ceviche). But is there any way I could get you to either airmail or email me your veggie meatball and beet salad recipes? I would LOVE to learn a recipe or two from a world travelin', vegetarian family like yours! It all looks amazing! I have no idea how you levitated to take that overhead shot of the meal, but nicely done!

    Happy Thanksgiving (belated) to you, Larissa! Much love, Tiffanie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to write you all the recipes if you'd like! Just e-mail me your address.

      It's a secret levitating power spell thing. ... I call it the climbing-on-a-chair-akazan power. :)

      Delete
  17. The Pastelzinhos remind me of ravioli or perogies!

    ReplyDelete

Want to make my day? Leave a Comment!

Web Analytics